Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Boomer-speak in Historical Fiction

William Shakespeare's Henry VIII (Graphic Shakespeare)OK, this one's a bit of rant, a bit of humor, and a call for your own comments in the same vein.



I just read a book set in Ancient Ireland with the following line in it:

She worked with the Dagda to save her people from cultural annihilation.
"Cultural annihilation"???  Could the author not have used a simple lesss anaachronistic lline like:
She worked with the Dagda to save her people's very existence.
Or just leave off the "'s very existence."  Think of the ink it would have saved, along with the people.

So as soon as I told my husband about this one he piped up with something like, "I suppose you could put Earl Sagar (a rather dour fellow from my Anglo Saxon novel, An Involuntary King) standing in a sield wall wondering, 'Am I still relevant?  Or should I reinvent myself' and wondering which of the King's companions would be a good life coach for him."



I suppose it would not be beyond imagining that Sir Francis Walsingham might "take a meeting" and present h is "agenda"  though his attempts to reach consensus would be precluded not b language but by personality.



Did Mary Boleyn complain of sexual harrassment?  Well, maybe not complain...



It certainly would not be out of the question that Julius Caesar would worry about imperialism...



I knwo Robin Hood was definitely trying to live green.



As you see, I am a bit out of touch concerning Boomerspeak.. so I shall rely on you for deliverables like that.